So what exactly is depression?
While we all experience the ups and downs of life, depression is characterized by chronic and persistent symptoms including everything from fatigue and stomach pain, all the way to muscle and joint pain. Despite the variety and occasionally debilitating nature of the symptoms, many people suffering from depression don’t even realize they have it.
Common Symptoms of Depression
- Feelings of discouragement, sadness or hopelessness
- Loss of interest in activities that used to be enjoyable
- Difficulty concentrating, focusing or remembering
- Anxiety, agitation or restlessness
- Crying spells and persistent feelings of sadness
- Angry outbursts, increased irritability
- Feelings of worthlessness or guilt
- Unusual fatigue and lethargy
- Eating too much or too little
- Sleeping too much or too little
- Unexplained aches and pains
- Thoughts of suicide or death
Depression Can Exhibit Different Symptoms in Males and Females
For example, men may tend to:
- Become angry and irritable
- Turn to sports, TV, sexual activities, alcohol or other reckless beviour to mask feelings
- Have physical symptoms, including sexual dysfunction
- Feel embarrassed and fearful of depression
- Want to maintain a strong, male image
- Have a problem-solver approach to depression
If You Think You May Be Depressed:
- Make an appointment with a counsellor
- Visit your family physician
- Share your burden with an individual or two that you are close with
- Learn about self-care
- Eat fresh and healthy food
- Exercise for 15 minutes each day
- Be patient
Types of Depression
As every person is different, there are different types of depression with different diagnosis and treatments:
How Therapy Helps Depression
No matter your age, depression can occur for a wide range of reasons and underlying causes. Depression is different for every person, and it can sometimes be so commonplace that symptoms go overlooked. At Words Of Hope Counselling we will be able to confidently guide you through the emotional and complicated symptoms of depression. Having a personal advocate helps in so many ways, for one you don’t need to feel alone in your struggle anymore. We can and we will provide education about depression, help you gain tools to manage your symptoms more effectively and empathize and care for you in a professional way so you feel understood and validated.
Most importantly, you will leave each session relieved, with a breath of fresh air, knowing that you are dealing with the correct issue and that you have a plan in place to improve your life and the relationships that are most important to you. Lastly you can feel secure knowing that you are being treated by a licensed professional who is trained to look at all the obvious and not so obvious symptoms of depression, therefore nothing will be missed.
Remember there is always HOPE… yes depression is real and makes life extremely difficult but I want you to know, depression is treatable! When you meet with one of our trained professionals we will take the time to fully understand your symptoms, your feelings, your thoughts, your current situation….we will truly listen and once we understand your complex condition, we will develop a customized treatment plan together, a team effort, to suit your individual needs. While some people only need a few sessions, others might require regular sessions and some form of medication but again you are in the driver’s seat and we work together to find the very best solution for you.
Lasly, at Words of Hope Counselling we safeguard your privacy and are sensitive to you and the struggles you’re facing. As a result, you can rest knowing we are discreet and take all the steps necessary to ensure your privacy and confidentiality.
There’s no time like the present. Give us a call today!!